Thursday, January 31, 2008
I miss you.
The last couple of days, I have been thinking a lot about my Grandpa Barton. I have had three people in my family pass away ( I know I am lucky it has been that few) they all have been grandparents. Since my Grandpa passed away last fall, I can not seem to get him out of my mind ( which is good, I know) I just miss him like crazy. It must be that now both him and grandma are gone. My uncle has decided to move in their house and gutted it out. So I will never walk in their house that had brown and orange carpet throughout the kitchen and dininig room and the family room that had original green shag carpet, having it look the same. They had a acre of land behind their house that we would roam through, picking corn from the garden or playing in the gulley with all the over grown trees and weeds up to our waist. The memory I will miss the most are the wonderful times when he took us waterskiing, I remember watching my grandma well into her sixties waterskiing half laughing, half terrified she would break something , what a awesome lady.
The last few weeks of my grandpa's life were difficult for him. I will always remeber the night he was in the Davis hosptial, he absolutly loved to eat shakes, his favorite kind was pineapple ( I didn't know they existed). It was a sunday evening and Paul and I drove all around Layton trying to find a place that was open that served pineapple shakes. Thank goodness for Baskin Robbins, I bought the biggest shake thay had. Paul dropped me off at the hospital and Sydney and I went to his room. I handed him the shake and he insisted I share with him, there was no way he would be able to finish it himself, I abilgied. He had not had anything to eat for days and I didn't know if he would even want the shake. For the next few minute we sat quietly slurping down the surpringly refreshing shakes. I started laughing at him when he had his cup tipped upside down scraping every last drop into his mouth. He let out a soft groan in satisfaction as his finished. He looked at me and gave me a warm smile and said " I haven't had one of those in a long time, thank you". Knowing something so simple had broght him a little happiness from the long, quiet days in the hospital made me pleased that I could share the few minutes alone with with him. That was the last time I saw him and I think of them everyday and smile knowing they are together. I love you.
Posted by Mikelle at 9:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. I just wanted to let you know I was so happy you left a comment on my blog and we were able to link up after all this time! Your family is beautiful and it's so good to be able to see how you are doing. Thank goodness for these blogs!
you can't put stuff like this on your blog.....I almost started to cry! It's good that you are thinking of him. It's great that you guys were so close. I have so many fond memories of him too and he's not even my grandpa.
This is so sweet, Mikelle. Knowing grandpa for just the short time I did, I gained such a love for him. What a sweet man. It will be a glorious day to see him again:)
Post a Comment