CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The best Almond Poppy Seed cake!!





This year for Christmas I decided to bake for our gift to our friends, anyone that knows me, I rarely cook at all. I my search for a fabulous baked good all would love, I came across Lynn (Paul's mom) recipe for Almond poppy seed cake, yummy. I have never made anything from scratch before so I was pretty hesitant. I received rave reviews from all that received it, and now it is the dessert that I take to all events parties, game night and just for us. So I have to share the recipe for you to try it, I promise it will be a new family favorite.


3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup veg. oil (minus 2 Tbl.)
1 Tbl. almond flavoring
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 3/4 cup sugar (minus 5 Tbl)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup milk (plus 6 Tbl.)
1 Tbl. vanilla
1 Tbl. butter

In mixing bowl, beat all ingredients together. Pour batter into greased and lightly floured 9 x 13 pans or I like 3 bread loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center, comes out clean. Immediately pierce all over with a fork and pour glaze over.

Glaze

1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter, melted
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring

Beat all ingredients together. Prick baked cake and brush with glaze.
( I like to double the glaze it make it even more fabulous)





3 comments:

SarahBara said...

This sounds yummy, I am going to have to try it. Anywhoo Tag you're it! He He go to my blog for details.

gcotharn said...

Love the blog. Will use it to keep up with you guys from time to time. Love the pics. Love to see you and Paul happily being with the children.

Aundria said...

MMMMmmmm - I used to love this when we were growing up!

:)
Andrea